Monday, February 25, 2008

Our First Discussion

We are kicking off our first discussion with AlpineV management Lonny Stanford.  Before you read any more, please read Lonny's response in the comment section of my last post.  I wouldn't delete comments just because I don't like them or just because they are critical of my blog. 

Done reading?  Good!  Now proceed!

Lonny, Thanks for the response!  Thanks for all the info as well.  

First off, let's clear the air on a couple of these issues. 

I haven't ruled out calling you, I just prefer to have this conversation out in the open.  I find the whole thing interesting and based on the emails I've received, others feel the same.  And thanks for posting my original email to you.  You might have noticed that it is pretty much the same as my first post. 
 
So when you say "what are you afraid of?" that seems more like name calling than anything else.  I was discussing your product and company, but if you aren't comfortable with that, we can talk about me instead.  Frankly though, I don't think that would be very interesting.  As for the criticisms I've received, they can all be found under the comments section for each post.  Don't get paranoid.  Check it out.  They're all there.  Oh, and your comment that I should "be a man?"  Now that's just down right juvenile.  Let's keep things on a professional level.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought I was.  

I guess I just don't understand why you won't make any claims as to the health benefits of your juice.  This is why I keep asking about it.  I understand that you want to follow the law and all, and I'm not suggesting that you make claims that you haven't proven first, but it seems a little like you want to "have your cake and eat it too."  I can tell you are totally committed to this product because of what you have seen it do.  I don't blame you.  Can't you imagine how well your company would do if you would simply prove all of the things that you imply with your testimonials?  

I suggest that you make some claims.  Stand behind your product!  Send your it to a lab and have it tested.  Get it reviewed by the FDA!  It seems that a lot of other companies that sell products I find in the grocery store don't have a problem with it.  My milk says that calcium is good for my bones and it doesn't have an FDA disclaimer at the bottom.  Even my yogurt talks about the benefits of "live active cultures," without any disclaimer.

So what gives?  Is it too expensive to pursue these claims?  I'm assuming that is the case.  You seem like a good guy, so I couldn't imagine that you aren't pursuing them because you are afraid that some of the testimonials are actually only due to the placebo effect, or some other factor.  

Please help me and my readers understand.  It seems like a trend among MLM juice companies, to fly under the radar this way.  It gives the impression that something unethical is going on.  What are your thoughts?

L

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Having already explained this, I will make this as simple as possible.

• We do report some of the science behind each of the ingredients in AlpineV. These are documented and can easily be found on pubmed.gov

• AlpineV will not make health claims about AlpineV, but reports science about some of its ingredients (as in the “calcium is good for your bones” you sometimes see on milk).

• Everyone knows vegetables and fruit are good for you. We tell you how much fruit you are getting in every serving. I cannot find another company that does that. You should be asking other companies why they are unwilling to reveal the amount or potency of their main ingredient (protecting their formula is not a sufficient answer).

• Some fruits have different properties than other fruits. Our website has a lot of information on the alpine sandthorn berry and links to third party resources for even more information.

• The FDA, FTC and FCC all see red flags in health claims on products. If a company starts saying their product diagnoses, treats, prevents or cures anything they start scrutinizing it as if it were a drug. To go through the drug approval process is very time consuming and very costly (just look at how pharmaceutical companies spend millions sometimes on getting just one product out to market).

Do you see why nutritional companies stay nutritional and not therapeutic? It seems obvious to most people. That is why people familiar with this industry do not keep demanding health claims on a product. That is why such demanding appears like baiting for some kind of trouble, not because there is anything to hide. It is because the reasoning is elementary. You seem too educated to not understand.

• Testimonials are not proof of what a product does for someone. They are anecdotal stories. Improving nutrition and exercise (among a litany of other things) can help the body repair itself. There are too many variables to attribute a change in health to one product. Some products can but we are not out to prove such a thing as discussed earlier about the unreasonable approval costs.

Your testimonial is an example. Others should read my reply to your post. All of the testimonials on our website have been reviewed, the people have been interviewed and all have used AlpineV as a part of their efforts to improve their health. I must admit, your unwillingness to talk call us to discuss your story has me starting to question the authenticity of your story.

I have answered your questions fully and it seems your baiting continues. It is almost too obvious. I advise you to call us, stop writing untruths and misinformation about our executives, our company or our product. I also advise AlpineV distributors to stop replying to your posts. My gut tells me you lack the integrity we try to uphold at AlpineV. This is not a personal attack on you, just an educated assessment of your writings and the behavior you have presented.

I do wish you well.

Lonny